The couple to be married must be 18 years of age and over on the day of performance of the ceremony of marriage. The minimum age is 18, as in most western countries.
Required Documents for the Wedding
Documentation for wedding and marriage ceremony must be sent to the hotel at least 4 weeks prior to the wedding day and includes:
- Photocopy of birth certificate - original to be presented prior to the wedding day
- Photocopy of valid passport - original to be presented prior to the wedding day
- Details of the names, addresses and occupations of the couple to be married
- Details of parents’ names, occupations and addresses of the wedding couple
- An affidavit confirming marital status of bride and groom prior to the wedding
- If either party to the marriage is divorced, a Decree Absolute proving the lawful termination of the previous marriage must be presented prior to the wedding ceremony
- If widowed, Death Certificate of former spouse of the previous marriage
- If names have been changed prior to the wedding, legal proof of change of name
- Marriage Certificate in English - The Registrar of Marriages will provide an official marriage certificate in the local Singhalese language with a certified duplicate copy in the English language.